If you’ve ever completed an undergraduate college application, you may have been asked to write an essay. The offered topics had to come from somewhere, right? Now, we know at least one place from which such topics come: The Common Application, and they have just released their essay prompts for 2013-14:
- Some students have a background or story that is so central to their identity that they believe their application would be incomplete without it. If this sounds like you, then please share your story.
- Recount an incident or time when you experienced failure. How did it affect you, and what lessons did you learn?
- Reflect on a time when you challenged a belief or idea. What prompted you to act? Would you make the same decision again?
- Describe a place or environment where you are perfectly content. What do you do or experience there, and why is it meaningful to you?
- Discuss an accomplishment or event, formal or informal, that marked your transition from childhood to adulthood within your culture, community, or family.
In addition to interesting college essay prompts, these might make good story prompts also… just sayin’…